Mauthausen concentration camp in Upper Austria was one of the largest labour camp complexes in the Third Reich. Between 1938 and 1945 about 200,000 people from all over Europe were imprisoned in Mauthausen. About half of them lost their lives. Today, Mauthausen Memorial stands as a reminder of the darkest days of Austria’s history.
Become acquainted with the history of Mauthausen Memorial during the 2-hour ride from Vienna. Listen to your guide explaining the historical context and learn about life at Mauthausen concentration camp before its liberation in May 1945. Upon arrival at the Memorial explore the preserved historic premises at your own pace with audio-guides (available in 11 major languages). See the Wiener-Graben quarry, the Stairs of Death, the SS-Quarters, the Camp Prison, the Gas Chamber and visit the newly re-opened Mauthausen Museum.
Heading back to Vienna stop at a local restaurant for lunch (own expense). Your tour concludes at the Vienna State Opera House.
- Tour start: 8:30am
- Meeting point: Tourist-Info Wien, Albertinaplatz 1, 1010 Vienna (Google Maps)
- Duration: 8.5 hours
- Group size: max. 35 people
- Tour language: English
- Guided Tour to Mauthausen Memorial from Vienna
- Roundtrip Transportation to and from Vienna
- Accompaniment by friendly english-speaking tour escort
- Free admission to Mauthausen Memorial
- Self-guided tour of the camp with audio-guides (available in English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Russian and Spanish)
- Hotel pick up & drop-off
- This tour is not recommended for children aged 13 and under
- Guaranteed departure with a minimum of 2 people
- Wheelchair & stroller accessible
- You can cancel your tour up to 24 hours before tour start free of charge, receiving a full refund.
- No refunds will be provided for later cancellations and no-shows.
Meet your guide at Tourist-Info Wien
Tour start: Travel across Lower Austria to Mauthausen
Stopover at Mauthausen Memorial - appx. 3 hours
Self-guided Visit with audio-guides (available in English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Russian and Spanish).
Possibility for lunch at a local restaurant (own expense)
Return trip to Vienna
Tour concludes at the Vienna Opera House